About Me

My photo
Mission: Promote purposeful passionate people to help them reach professional and personal potential while enjoying life to the fullest. DISCLAIMER: This is a PERSONAL blog. Views expressed are my own. Names listed have given permission.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A Moment of Silence on November 11


For Canadians, today is a powerful and important day.

Today we Remember.

I would love to hear your stories of Remembrance - here's mine.


It's no secret, UofT is in my blood
- I bleed blue and white.

When I was a student at the University of Toronto I visited the Soldiers' T
ower, Canada's second largest war memorial each November 11.

My first year I went up to the "memorial room", the University of Toronto's museum of Remembrance. There was a panoramic picture from the Great War, of students who were going to war, all lined up on front campus. They looked no different than me. I realized then the only difference between us was when we were born.

When I worked for the University I got connected to the Soldiers' Tower Committee who stewards the Tower. I can't tell you the real life stories of Veterans I learned. It's not the ones that died, it's the ones that returned home and never really lived a normal life.

If you know my pers
onal motto ( to learn from the wisdom of others ) I have learned much from the members of this team being their youngest non-military member.

E
ach year since 2004 I take the day off and help run the UofT Remembrance Day events.

I have no doubt that you'll join me today in a moment of silence at 11am.

Here are a couple
shots of a memorial the engineers put together a couple years ago.

It was truly thoughtful and respectful, with the actual names of the alumni on each cross.


I am an arts studen
t - so I truly feel that engineers are a dirty filthy bunch of purple turds with inflated ego's and no social skills.

And if turds can respect and remember....


Can't we all?

No comments:

Post a Comment